Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Trumpeter Mi-24 Hind 1/35th Scale

Here is a Kit I wanted to build ever since it’s announcement of it’s release. The Mi-24 Hind is one of my favorite aircraft in the world. I normally build Modern U.S. Jets. I like building Modern Russian Helicopters. This kit took me about 6 months to build, built it out of the box, which is very rare for me. I normally have to make some kind of change to the kit. I have purchased another one of these kits, but I’m not in a hurry to build that one. 

Here is what I used in the kit;
Trumpeter Mi-24 Hind 1/35th Scale TSM5103
Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black
Tamiya Extra Thin Cement Green Cap
Testors Russian interior Green/a little blue added
Testors Amour Sand for the base color
Testors Earth Brown
Testors Russian underside gray
Testors Olive Drab (Rotor Blades)



First off;
I started building the cockpit. The way I got the bluish green color was mixing a little blue into the Russian Interior Green, I used the Verlinden M-24 Hind Lock on for this model, it was a very good reference. This is where the blue green color came from. This took about a week and half to complete. I also pained the interior of the fuselage flat black to give the finished model a deep color look. Once I had the fuselage glued together I need to paint the underside if the canopy black, before I could glue it to the model. This will give you a better look in the cockpit when you are finished. I also like using the Bondo Spot putty, and apply Mr. Surfacer 500 over the putty to pill in any of the putties pours and imperfections, I also use Mr. surfacer for my primer coat.







  Now that I am ready to paint the hind, first I had to mask off the windows, this was done with the 3M Blue painters tape. The hardest part was getting the curvature of the windshield correct. Now I’m ready it paint. I took Testor’s Amour Sand for my base color, I sprayed it using my Paasche VL Airbrush. This I did a rough earth brown coating with my passche VL , Once that was done I took my Badger 100 Side feed and did the camo clean up.






Now it’s time to start the finish work;
Before I apply the decals, I like to use the Tamiya X-22 Clear for my gloss coat. Two reasons, 1) it does not start turning yellow. 2) it does not have a strong odor, and works well with the decal system I use. Now I’m ready for the decals. The decals use where for the kit. I use a 3 Step Process; 1) Micro Set to set the decal and being able to place it where it belongs, 2) Micro Sol, to soften and work the decal, And 3) Walters’ Solvaset to finalize its position. Now that the decals are done it’s time to finish the assembly, once the assembly is finished I weather the model using the artist oils found at Wal-mart, Michael’s and other art supply stores. For the Exhaust look I use Testors Model Master Metalizer.   





Now I load the weapons and I’m done.
Date Started: April 10th, 2006
Date Finished: January 23rd 2007







No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Customer Comments

Steve, Sandy UT
"The help I received has been great they found the parts I needed for my scratch built model project. They had just the right electrical connector's I needed for the project. The service was great and I will not hesitate in the future to contact you for my model needs."

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk.XVIe

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk.XVIe
Buy Now! $126.21

About Us

This site is ran by the staff of Hobby-On.com and dedicated to the world of Hobbies. Here you can find product reviews and articles on various hobbies including: Radio Control, Plastic Model Airplanes, Model Trains, RC Cars, RC Planes and Boats.